GREAT OCEAN ROAD TOUR ITINERARY
Here at Ride, we tell you what to expect. Here is the full itinerary including how long the big drives are.
- Depart Melbourne and head towards Victoria’s south-west coast Tower Hill. (3-hour drive
- We will stop along the way with tea, coffee and biscuits provided.
- Arrive at Logan’s Beach, a fantastic surf beach (year-round) and also a place to see whales nurse their young (winter treat).
- After lunch in Warrnambool (not included), we head to the mighty Tower Hill, a large, sunken volcano, home to loads of koalas, kangaroos and emus
- We then drive for 30 mins to the Great Ocean Road and look at loads of great sights
- – Bay of Islands
– Bay of Martyrs
– The Grotto
– London Bridge
(If the weather allows, we have plenty of time for a swim at one of these spots.)
- Then we will head up to the 12 Apostles for an amazing sunset experience.
- After a wait of around 30 minutes, we will also see the penguins returning from their day’s fishing.
- After that, it is an easy 10-minute drive to the Port Campbell hostel where we will have our dinner feast (included). (In summer time, dinner will be before sunset.)
- We leave around 8 am after your breakfast (included) and drive 10 minutes to beautiful Loch Ard Gorge.
- After that it’s back to the 12 Apostles to see them again in daylight. Here is also your opportunity for a helicopter flight (optional but highly recommended at $145 for 15-minute flight).
- Then it’s off to Gibson’s Steps to see one of the Apostles from the beach.
- A beautiful 1 hour drive will take us up towards Maits Rest, where we will do a guided rainforest walk.
- We have lunch in the seaside town of Apollo Bay.
- In the afternoon we wind our way towards Bells’ Beach, driving the original stretch of road that hugs the ocean all the way (about 2 hours of stunning scenery!)
- We visit the Split Point Lighthouse that features in the “Round the Twist” program.
- We may be able to see some surfers at Bells Beach.
- Back to Melbourne (about a 1½ hour drive- up the highway). Arrive in Melbourne from 7pm onwards.